Thursday, June 30, 2011

Geometry -1512

In my first life as a college student, I was an art major. I know, I know, had I only focused on statistics and probability I would have seen that art majors don't really make the big bucks. Be that as it may, this week's topic on Geometry and more specifically, the centroid of a polygon, reminded me of one of my all time favorite artists, Alexander Calder. I have always loved his mobiles and their mid-century modern look and the colors. Little did I know how much geometry played a part in his creations. That is, until I read about finding the centroid, or balancing point of a triangle. Immediately, I was seeing his amazing mobiles in my brain.

Amazingly enough I was not the first to make this connection. Thanks to Mr. Google I was able to find a really neat math site called Math Cats, that challenges students to virtually balance objects and create their own mobile. I also found a lesson plan that combines Calder's genius and a geometry lesson.  There are many more sites that have paired Calder, a mechanical engineer and artist, with the geometry he used to create such wonderful pieces like "The Spinner" that can be seen right here in Minnesota at the Walker Art Museum.
I think that the more we can make real connections for students about how math can be used and interpreted, the less we may have to struggle with enthusiasm and interest.  I know that my memories of geometry class consist of hoping not to get called up to the board to write out a lengthy proof and the subsequent explanation of that proof to the class.  Had I seen real world applications such as Alexander Calder, perhaps I would have felt more warmly towards it.  Let me end with a lovely video that shows his balancing act in motion.

No comments: